Thursday, June 3, 2010

Outdoor Challenge

We’ve been going really well with our Outdoors Challenge. Little B has loved getting out and about, looking at nature and doing lots of unstructured play.

We’ve seen toadstools (and been fairies ;-)


Lived through a change in season & discussed autumn




Taken his trike and gone riding in parks



I’ve also discovered within some “normal” parks, some specific nature playscapes which really inspired Little B. I'll have to take my camera next time.

Mr B and I have also developed a mud pile for Little B to dig in, after seeing something similar at a preschool open day. We decided that life’s too short to have perfect lawn plus I’m a big believer in “food not lawns” thus the mud pit was born J Little B loves it.

Another big favourite has been fog – Little B is fascinated by the “gloominess”.

Mind you, I’ve also really enjoyed getting out and about in the sun, rain, fog and gloom. I’m generally the sidekick within Little B’s creative play but its still great fun. I don’t regret for a minute our decision to hold him back from school until he is 6.

I can so see how this sort of play and experiences are so fundamental to a child’s development. 

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you're a big kid!! What great fun you are all having. I agree that this kind of unstructured play is invaluable to young children.

    ReplyDelete