With some lovely warm weather our thoughts turned to ice cream today. So we whipped out our icecream machine and away we went.
Look at the lovely yellow yolks - nothing like free range home grown eggs
We used a really simple recipe which can be adapted to any kind of milk (cow, rice, soy)
100g caster sugar
1 tsp cornflour
4 egg yolks
2 cups milk
* Put caster sugar, cornflour and eggs yolk into a bowl and cream together until egg yolk gets lighter
* Heat milk until it just starts to boil.
* Pour into bowl and mix with egg yolk mixture.
* Put back in saucepan over low heat and mix together until it feels slightly thicker (dont let it come to the boil or simmer).
* Put in fridge to chill for 6-12 hours.
* Add 1 tsp vanilla or 1/4 cup cocoa to mixture.
* Then put into ice cream machine and voila you have ice cream.
For an egg free option - replace the egg yolks with 1.5 tbsp rice brain oil (as it has no flavour). I make rice milk ice cream this way.