Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Other People's Gardens

I love looking at other people's gardens. It's so interesting to see what they do, how they do it and even why they do it. It encourages me to keep on with our own garden, inspires me with new ideas and helps me to learn.

My current fav is Josh Byrnes WA urban backyard (in the July / August 2011 issue of Organic Gardener). Every piece of space has been made useful with vegies/ fruit/ herbs/ chickens/ composting/ grey water and interesting living spaces.

I especially like his use of different pots and different heights. Granny B's garden is long and big but dominated by a massive gum and a mid sized elm tree. We've used the sunny spaces available for vegie patches and the rest for new fruit trees.

I'm now looking at big pots for lettuces to sit on the brick stumps of an old redundant bench seat (read: no seat). Some moveable trugs to use around a disused brick BBQ (great heat bank), and some different containers for herbs to line around the decking space where we cook and eat during summer.

I love the concept of useful fruitful space!! :-) But I'm also curious to see how other gardens manage to combine spaces like Tricia's nature playscape with food gardens as well.

2 comments:

  1. I love looking at other people's gardens too, and seeing their clever ideas. It's a bit overwhelming to go out into ours and see so much still needing to be done. We know what we want/ need to do, it's just finding the time & energy & motivation... but yes, being inspired by amazing permaculturalists like Josh Byrne is a good way. Thank you for the reminder, maybe I will borrow his DVD from the library again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bec,
    I get overwhelmed by our garden too. I want so much to make it bigger and more productive but with a husband who travels so much for work, I have to do most of the physical stuff myself.

    But I get all charged up again when I read about gardens like Josh Byrnes.

    Cheers
    Taryn

    ReplyDelete