Monday, June 27, 2011

Roasted Brussel Sprouts


I love and adore Brussel Sprouts but it hasnt always been that way. I used to avoid then like the plague due to memories of soggy foul tasting things from school camps. Then I found a recipe for roasted brussel sprouts in Heidi Swansons cookbook "Super Natural Cooking" and I was a convert. Funnily enough so was Little B. He likes nothing better than a bowl of brussel sprouts which shocks people no end when they visit.

I've also found once outed as brussel sprout lovers, people come out of the woodwork to tell me all the funky little ways they cook them. And I find them the most universal veggie during winter - they work on their own, in soups, stews, and even stirfrys.

Here is an extended version of Heidi's recipe, but for something quick I just throw them into a bowl, with some olive oil and a sprinkle of salt. Then I roast away till they look cooked and we all scoff them :-)
And I had the most hilarious conversation with an older lady recently at the greengrocer. She told me that brussel sprouts were too expensive at $4.95 a kilo. Considering how many I could get if I bought a kilo, it's an absolute bargain if you ask me!!

1 comment:

  1. Yum, I love brussels sprouts... lightly steamed, or fried with bacon, and now I'll have to try them baked! They are an underated vege if you ask me (but my kids & husband don't agree!)

    ReplyDelete