Thursday, July 29, 2010

Think twice


Cheeki Water bottle

For every 1 litre bottle of water that you buy, it is estimated that 200ml of oil is used in the production, packaging, transport and refrigeration of that single bottle of water (The Department of Environment and Climate Change, 2010).

Another way to look at buying bottled water, is that “the cost of buying water instead of drawing it from a tap is comparable to driving a car (1.5 megajoules of energy vs 4 megajoules of energy” (Tim Grant, “Message in a Bottle”, Alive Magazine 2010).

I don’t know about you but I am so glad that we have been using stainless steel bottles for taking water with us for the last 4 years. But very occasionally, we get caught without water for Little B when out and about. I have solved this by having a set of Ecococoon cups in the car.

Mainly because I cant wipe the thought that if I am buying a bottle of water, then I am using a cup of oil. Mr B gave this to me as a visual once and I cant move past it now. Sometimes pictures speak louder than words!

2 comments:

  1. The word is definitely getting out. Bottled water not only harms the environment, but potentially your health as well. It's also expensive!
    http://greenbottle.info

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep,

    It's the visual demonstrations that tend to stay with us. You can tell people things about sustainability until the cows come home but unless they can see it or touch it and connect it to their life it will generally stay a low priority.

    Kind Regards
    Belinda

    ReplyDelete