Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Fabberdiculous Bread



I love making bread :-) It’s one of the things that I really enjoy doing and love to experiment with.

But bread making can be temperamental and moving to the new house, I found that our bread wasn’t proving properly (due to temperatures). I resorted to putting it on a heat pad which worked but the bread wasn’t as nice (I now know I was overstretching the gluten). I even resorted to using the breadmaker to make the dough and then baking it in the oven, but still not as successful as it used to be.

So what to do?? After seeing an episode that River Cottage did on bread, I borrowed the River Cottage Bread Book from the library. And voila – I had my answer. This book has 30 or so pages dedicated just to the process of making bread and on reading this I could plainly see what was causing the problem.


A few tweaks here and there and I’m making beautiful bread again. In fact, I’m prouder of my bread now than before. It looks and tastes like it came from a bakery.

I also like the fact that this recipe makes 2 loaves at a time. I’m all for time saving at the moment in the kitchen as I have to cook so much. So spending half as much time to make twice as much bread is simply wonderbubble**!


** Faberdiculous & wonderbubble are lovely made up words courtesy of Mr Mentor the Inventor (from Grandpa in my Pocket)

1 comment:

  1. I just bought the River Cottage bread book but haven't had a chance to read it properly yet. Your bread does look pretty impressive. Can't wait to try the recipes!

    ReplyDelete