Thursday, April 5, 2012

Slow Living Diary - March 2012


Once again, I am joining in with Christine from Slow Living Essentials for a monthly reflection of slow living

NOURISH: I finally hit my groove and got into cooking at the new house. I decided to start making my muesli in double or triple batches to save time – it’s a combo of The Thrifty Kitchen recipe and Jude Blereau’s Coming Home to Eat. Tombolas have been on high rotation for Mr B in an effort to fill up his hollow legs. That combined with a nut mix is making him feel fuller. I also used this recipe to make a batch of super healthy low GI Anzacs. I added in lots of seeds (sunflower, pepitas and linseeds as well). Started making our own mayonnaise to suit Little B's allergies to salicylates and egg.

PREPARE: I told myself last year, I’d make better use of pear season, so I’ve been trying to make more pear jam to get us through the year. I’ve made 4 months worth so far. I’ve also been searching out options to buying more of what we need in bulk i.e. 4kgs of oats at a time. 


REDUCE: Used our stockpile of gardening pots to start a temporary winter garden. Fossicked through the hard rubbish collection for some new bikes and parts, and a new mower. Used left over wood from an old outbuilding to make a balance beam for Little B’s physio (it’s just waiting to be painted).


GREEN: Our new solar panels went up onto the roof and our inverter went in yesterday. We spent lots of time finding and filling the gaps in the new place to a) stop drafts but also b) to stop the bl**dy millipedes getting inside…vomit, vomit!!)


GROW: Planted pak choy, peas, carrots, swede and spinach in our mini garden and at Granny B’s. Our cherry tomato and roma tomatoes are still producing and I haven’t had the heart to rip them out. Ate up and ripped out he last of our corn. Going to use them to the last minute I think
:-)

CREATE: Cut down a dress to make a new top. Decided on the last bits of binding for our bedroom quilt that Granny B and I have been working on for quite a while.

DISCOVER:  Have just discovered our local cultural and art centre. It has some great programs and interesting things on for children. Little B is very passionate about dramatic and creative play and we hope to nurture and encourage this through some classes as well as seeing different things like art and plays.

ENHANCE: Helped out on a stall at our local grassroots market. Started walking to or from kindy but not both (Little B’s not physically up to it but he adores walking and its much closer than we thought).

ENJOY: I very much enjoyed catching up with two great friends I hadn’t seen in a while – one for coffee and one for a play date (our kids as much as us *giggle*). There’s something that nourishes the soul about chatting to lovely ladies who know the ins and outs (and ups and downs) of your life!! I also really enjoyed helping out on a kindy excursion that took 24 littlies to a Thai restaurant – they had a ball and were perfectly behaved…totally impressed!!

2 comments:

  1. Hi there, Mrs B - great to have you along again! How exciting re. the solar panels. May the sun shine all winter for you. It sounds like you've had a great month..coffee catch ups with like minded souls are the best! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to meet you Mrs B. I remember my excitement when our solar panels went up. I was checking the meter all the time to see how many Kwh it was creating. Congratulations!

    As for a kinder excursion to a Thai restaurant...... I can't even imagine! (I don't think I would have dared to volunteer)

    ReplyDelete