Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Home-made Beauty

Picture courtesy of www.countryliving.com

Being anti-chemicals etc, I’ve been using more natural beauty products for the last 12 months. I wash my face with organic honey, and moisturise with Moogoo full cream moisturiser. But I’m keen to start trialling coconut oil as it’s good for sensitive skin or jojoba oil as my moisturisers.

After reading Home-made by Readers Digest, I’ve been trialling a few concoctions, shall we say :-) I sometimes like to do a facial mask after working or digging in the garden. Depending on what I’m doing, I can be rather grimey and grotty (especially after digging in compost or working with mulches).

Deep-cleansing Facial

3 tsps yoghurt
3 tsps finely ground oats
½ tsp honey

- First cleanse your face with any natural cleanser, so that you can be ready to apply the facial mixture when it has been stirred together
- In a clean bowl, combine the yoghurt and oats and mix together to a spreadable consistency. In a small glass bowl sitting in a larger bowl of hot water, warm the honey and pour into yoghurt mixture. Use a spoon to blend.
- Immediately apply the mask to your face, avoiding eyes and leave on for 10-15 minutes. Wash off with warm water then moisturise.

Your skin feels so soft and fresh after this facial. Plus it smells nice as well.

Another easy recipe is for oily skin (I have combination skin).

Oily Skin Mask

1 tsp yeast
1/3 cup yoghurt

- Clean your face with any natural cleanser. In a small bowl, mix yeast with yoghurt to make a thin paste. Pat onto the oily parts of your face. Allow the mask to dry for 15-20 minutes.
- Rinse with warm water, splash with cool water. Gently pat dry

This mask leaves your skin feeling fresh and a bit tingly.

But there are a few that I will wait and try in summer (like Peachy Complexion Cream…sound yummy!!)

1 comment:

  1. Add to that - deodorant made from coconut oil and some antiseptic essential oil (I use citronella for its extra mozzie-repellent). Only trouble is I haven't found a good way of applying it yet. I use a pastry brush (having left the oil by the heater in the morning). Feels as though I am basting myself, but it works! :-)

    ReplyDelete