Thursday, March 25, 2010

Jam making escapades

I’m proud to say that I have embarked on jam making.

My first attempt has been organic pear jam. I have been using pureed pears as a “jam” for Little B on his toast so thought this should be our first port of call (NB: Little B can only eat bananas and pears).

Organic Pear Jam



1kg fresh organic pears (for 500g fruit)
1 ½ cups organic raw sugar
1 tbsp organic lemon juice
2 tbsps water
3 tbsp Jam Setta

·      Peel and quarter pears and add to pot



** Now I cheated and used our breadmaker for my first attempt as it has a jam making function. I have electric induction hot plates so cant make jam the traditional way as I cannot get the heat consistent **

Sterilising Jars



·      “Wash the jars and lids in hot soapy water, rinse and drain upside down on a clean cloth
·      Place on a tray in a cold oven
·      Turn oven to 110 degrees. When the oven reaches this temperature, turn off the heat and leave jars for 10 minutes
·      When cooled to warm, they are ready to pour in jam
·      Simmer lids in boiling water for 2 minutes, drain and use dry”
(Excerpt from A Year in a Bottle by Sally Wise)

The final product!!


I have to say the jam is delicious and I’m a complete convert now to this easy way of making jam. Little B loves it too. Next up is Mr B’s choice of jam contingent on what fruit I can get from our organic f & v shop. But Granny B and I will be able to make marmalade from our orange tree this year :-)

A really great book on preserving is A Year in a Bottle by Sally Wise.

No comments:

Post a Comment