Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Top Reads 2011

As we meander into 2012, I've been looking back at my reading list for last year. And today when it is freezing cold and supremely rainy, and we are cocooning in the warmth,  I thought I would make a list of what I consider to be my top reads of 2011.

1. The Great Disruption


You can read my review here. I still think this is the best book I read last year. Eye opening, starkly real and very motivating, I still think a lot about what I read. I'm also pleasantly surprised when I bump into new people in real life who have read it.

2. Sustainable Table


You can read my review here. I really enjoyed this book - it's stories (and recipes) monopolised my evenings for about a week. It's been great fun cooking but I also appreciate identifying, learning or in some cases rethinking how I approach food. I can see that this will link in quite strongly with Tricia's no supermarket challenge which I hope to join later this year.

3. The Dirty Life

Hmm I seemed to have reviewed my favourites this year :-) I felt last year was one of learning and applying where we want our path to go. I liked this book most for its honesty about the sheer hard work of farming and providing food. And contrary to that thought it just made me want to work harder on our dreams and aims of a sustainable life.

But it's not all been learning, it's also been about fun. I need to read about as much as I need to breathe. And after joining a challenge to keep track of my reading last year, I tallied 75 books. Hmm did I mention I need to read as much as I need to breather ;-) LOL

4. Still Alice & Left Neglected



These two books are absolutely fantastic. Its not often books make me cry but both of these had me tearing up at different points. Still Alice is first person account of someone suffering from early alzheimers, Left Neglected is about a high flying working mother who suffers a brain injury after a car accident. They are both fictional. Dont let the topics put you off - these books are great reads and I found them very heart felt and inspiring.

5. A Discovery of Witches

Love this, love this, love this book. I'm from the old school of Anne Rice vampires, I also love the Mayfair witches. So this book which is a combo of vampires, witches and magic is a fantastic read. It's a debut novel for Deborah Harkness but I quite literally couldnt put it down. I wore holes in my eyes trying to finish as fast as humanely possible. The great / horrible thing is that it is the first book in a trilogy.

5. Sister


This debut novel by Rosamund Lupton is a mystery novel which is nothing new in itself. But the way she writes is as fluid as honey. I devoured this book (though not that into the crime / mystery genre anymore) in a few short days. Her writing just flowed right over me and I found it quite a compelling read.  

But to be honest I could probably throw a few more books here but then I'm sure your eyes would all glaze over and you'd be snoring :-)  So I'll keep this list short and sweet. But will say that I am looking forward to the next book in The Discovery of Witches and The Passage trilogys which are supposed to be released later this year!!

1 comment:

  1. Your recommendations haven't let me down so far, so will be trying to borrow some of those I haven't read on your list from the library. Though I do have about 4 books waiting to be read at the moment, after I finish The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver!

    ReplyDelete